Marsamxett Balcony Grant Scheme 2018

The Planning Authority in collaboration with the Parliamentary Secretary for EU funds and Social Dialogue have extended the €2 million balcony grant scheme for residents living in the Marsamxett area of the capital Valletta. The scheme seeks to help alleviate the financial cost of restoring and maintaining traditional balconies, especially those made out of timber, in order to encourage their continued use.

The grant scheme is be being made available for open and closed balconies within properties that are used as residences. This excludes offices, commercial buildings, nongovernment organizations or religious buildings. 

To encourage residents to take up this one time opportunity and help improve the quality of life within this zone, the scheme will fully fund the works associated with the restoration or replacement of the open or timber balcony. The scheme has pledged to cover up to a maximum of €8000 per closed 4-panel timber balcony. This includes the costs for the hiring of scaffolding during the works and the installation of double glazing so as to improve the energy efficiency within the property. An applicant will only require planning permission in the form of a DNO if the works include the partial or full replacement of the balcony.  

The professional services of a Perit will also be covered by the Authority. The Authority will re-imburse an applicant up to €500 for a Perit’s professional fees, so long that the application is successful and has been awarded the grant. 

The applicant will need to cover any fees related with local council permits if the need arises.

Eligible works are determined by the date of receipts, which have to be dated not earlier than 1st November 2018. Residents who are interested in benefitting from this scheme need to engage the services of a Perit. The Perit will apply online through the Authority's eAppplications system. 

80% of the grant scheme will be paid for by EU funds, while the remaining 20% will be covered by the Planning Authority's Irrestawra Darek initiative.  

The scheme will close on the 31st March 2019 or earlier if the funds are exhausted. The works related to the restoration or replacement of the balconies must be completed by 30th September 2019.  

1. To view whether your property is eligible or not click here

2. To view the guidelines - click here

3. Questions & Answers - click here