MARSAMXETT BALCONY GRANT SCHEME GETS EXTENDED

February, 04, 2019

The ‘window of opportunity’ for Valletta residents living in the Marsamxett area to benefit from the 100% grant scheme for restoration works to their balcony is being extended by a further two months, until the 31st March 2019.

The €2 million scheme, which was launched at the end of last year by the Planning Authority in collaboration with the Parliamentary Secretary for EU funds and Social Dialogue, seeks to help alleviate the financial cost of restoring and maintaining traditional timber balconies and wrought iron open balconies, in order to encourage their continued use.

To date, over 65 applications have been submitted for residential properties in Marsamxett to benefit from this funding initiative. Most of the balconies (92) are closed while just over a third (38) open. The traditional closed balconies vary in size with the smallest  having not more than 3 panels on the front and the longest one having a staggering 28 panels.

The grant scheme is only being made available for open and closed balconies within properties that are used as residences. To encourage residents to take up this one-time opportunity and help improve the quality of life within this zone, the scheme will fully fund the works associated with the restoration or replacement of the open or timber balcony. This includes the professional fees of an architect (up to a maximum of €500), the costs for the hiring of scaffolding during the works and the installation of double glazing so as to improve the energy efficiency within the property.

Eligible works are determined by the date of receipts, which must not be dated before 1st November 2018. 80% of the grant scheme will be paid for by EU funds, while the remaining 20% will be covered by the Planning Authority's Irrestawra Darek initiative.