GREEN LIGHT FOR NEW ELDERLY RESIDENTIAL BLOCKS AT ST VINCENT DE PAULE

April, 25, 2019

With the demand for long-term elderly care continually growing, the Planning Board gave the green light for development works to commence on the construction of new residential blocks to accommodate a further 490 elderly residents at the St Vincent de Paule (SVP) complex, limits of Luqa.

The project which will cover an area of approximately 16,500 square metres, will also include several amenities at basement level such as stores, laundry rooms, plant rooms, a waste marshalling area, therapy pools, a multi-purpose hall and a reservoir. A surface car park which can accommodate 264 vehicles will also be constructed. Each residential block will include a dining/living area, activity room, treatment rooms and staff ancillary facilities. The site area around the four residential blocks will include considerable landscaping and a chapel.

St. Vincent de Paul complex which started as a hospital was launched in 1862 by Sir Gasparre Le Merchant, the then governor of the Maltese Islands. A vast range of designs was submitted for the realisation of the Governor’s plans and the choice fell upon Architect’s T. H. Wyatt’s design. Emmanuel Luigi Galizia was assigned the responsibility to oversee the construction of this project which had its foundation stone laid in June 1886. Over the years, several renovation and enlargement projects have been carried out to ensure that elderly persons receive a comfortable and reliable quality service. 

The PA Board also gave planning permission for the construction of a new fuel station along the arterial road of Burmarrad, limits of San Pawl il-Bahar. The fuel station which will include ancillary facilities will replace an existing kerb-side fuel station which is situated in the residential zone of Burmarrad. This fuel station will be completely decommissioned.

The new fuel service station will include a number of pumps, a car wash facility, a retail outlet, a garage and office, parking spaces and a lightweight canopy to cover the fueling area.  The Board imposed a planning gain of €94,000.