FAÇADE OF HISTORIC SHOPS ALONG TA’LIESSE HILL TO BE RESTORED

November, 19, 2018

The facade of a number of shopfronts along Ta’ Liesse Hill leading to Victoria Gate, which in years gone-by was one of Valletta’s busiest commercial spots will be restored after the Planning Commission approved planning permission for the works to be carried out.

This restoration project is part of a wider initiative to regenerate this area of Valletta and make it more appealing for tourists visiting the Capital to venture around.

The façade of these buildings are in dire need of restoration and are suffering from deteriorated and damaged stonework, black crust, biological growth and missing architectural elements. 

Back in the time of the knights when Valletta was built as a fortified city, this hill was one of the only three access points into Valletta. Under the British reign, Porta Del Monte, which was a single arch gate was considered too small to cope with the amount of activity in and out of Valletta from the Grand Harbour area. In 1885, a wider gate designed by Architect Emmanuele Luigi Galizia replaced Porta del Monte for what we know today as Victoria Gate. 

The Planning Commission also gave its thumbs up for the upgrading and restoration of a number of streets that surround the old Civil Abattoir which is currently being rehabilitated, embellished and transformed into a Design Cluster.

Both planning permissions include an approved restoration method statement which was endorsed by the Superintendent of Cultural Heritage. The Planning Authority’s conservation officers will monitor the restoration works.